The holidays are in full swing but we can’t stop dreaming about spring break. Why? Luxury RV resort Cava Robles is expected to open in May of 2018. Robbins|Reed Builders are making serious progress on this project. Scope out their latest blog to see the construction site photos for yourself. While you’re at it – note ALL the amenities designed for active guests (the list is longer than Santa’s).
The Fall issue of Cal Poly’s Construction Management Department’s magazine, Construction Innovator, features none other than Robbins|Reed and we’re stoked about it.
The profile shares how our very own Construction Management Mustangs Grant Robbins (’94) and Shawn Reed (’92) have made a practice of hiring talented Cal Poly alums. Founded in 2007, our San Luis Obispo contracting and real estate development firm has encouraged alumni hiring alumni for over a decade. The feature also recognized Robbins|Reed for what we are – the premier builders on California’s Central Coast.
Both Robbins and Reed were given shout-outs for their contributions in our community. Robbins for his involvement with the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce, and Reed for his outstanding leadership of Habitat for Humanity. Not to mention, he’s a board member of the Home Builders Association of the Central Coast.
Beyond founding partners Robbins and Reed, our capable team is made up of numerous Cal Poly graduates, including:
- Partner Aaryn Abbot (‘06)
- Vice President Ryan Adams (’06)
- Director of Custom Homes Stephen Griggs (’00)
- Project Manager Gil Bastidas (’12)
- Construction Manager Scott Merson (‘05)
- Accounting Administrator Matt Reddell (’11)
- Project Engineer Jeff Hadley (‘16)
Construction Management Lecturer Stacy Kolegraff founded the Cal Poly Women in Construction club in February of this year. Kolegraff shares that the organization is dedicated to empowering women through mentorship, networking, youth outreach, and industry support, including scholarships. The club is open to all Cal Poly students interested in construction.
That’s a wrap on our latest local headlines. Know that our commitment to hiring Cal Poly graduates and supporting women in construction is important to every one of us.
At Robbins|Reed Custom Homes our passion is building yours. The custom home building process can be intimidating but it doesn’t need to be. At Robbins|Reed we keep you in the loop on everything from pulling permits to final punch lists because we believe trust is earned. Now our custom home builders are sharing what you need to know to make the custom home building process as positive as possible.
- Choosing a builder is an important decision. You will be working with them from start to finish. You’ll want to select a reliable team to ensure smooth communication and a more efficient timeframe.
- You’ll be working with a wide array of documents, contracts, and plans – so keeping organized is key. A good rule of thumb is to keep a paper trail. Don’t throw out any notes or documents, just in case.
- Know the 10 most common major phases:
- Preparing the site and pouring foundation
- Clearing the site (think rocks, trees, and any debris)
- Leveling the site
- Digging the well/septic if needed
- Rough framing of the house
- Rough plumbing/electrical/HVAC
- Insulation installation
- Drywall and interior textures
- Interior trim, driveways and walkways installed
- Countertops, flooring installation
- Electrical finishing and installation of bathroom fixtures
- Design finishings
- In between many of the steps above there will be inspections required to ensure everything is up to code and correct. The Robbins|Reed Custom Home builders know the drill and can walk you through the often complicated process.
- Surprises can and will pop up. Our team stays of top of the timeline to stay on track and on budget, no matter what unexpected issues arise.
- Know that you will be making countless decisions in the custom home building process. Every detail can be tailored to your liking from flooring and countertops to windows, paint colors, and even subterranean wine cellars. It helps to be prepared. Creating a Pinterest board is one way to share the look and feel you’re going for.
The custom home building process can be overwhelming. Know that we’re here to help. We’ve found the happiest clients tend to follow their intuition. At Robbins|Reed Custom Homes our team is dedicated to your vision of perfection. Compromise is never part of the equation. To learn more, email or call (805) 543-7277.
Dreaming of building a custom home in San Luis Obispo? Before you start searching for property, you’ll want to consider a key checklist starting with the most important, location! There’s more to it than you might think.
Before anything else, make sure you can build! You don’t want to fall in love with a stunning piece of property, only to discover that you’re blocked from building by local, State, or Federal regulations. Before you buy, check with county offices to see if rules require an environmental impact study. You may have to prove your project will not negatively impact local animals, vegetation, or watershed. Soil and geologic studies may also be required in some areas of San Luis Obispo County.
One you know you can build, consider the following:
- What part of town do you envision living in?
- Is this area growing? Will it become significantly more populated?
- How big is the lot? Will it fit your needs?
- Examine the terrain – more hilly or rocky acreage can be difficult to build on
- How will the style, layout and colors of your future home compliment the natural contours of the land and surrounding environment?
- Are the views what you’re looking for?
- Consider sunlight and exposure to natural light
- If you work, what will your daily commute be like?
- Note your proximity to an airport, train tracks, or a busy highway/street
If you have children, you’ll also want to research nearby school districts. If you’re a retiree or thinking about retiring, consider proximity to community amenities such as recreational facilities, fitness centers, emergency medical services, and more.
What services will you need? Where you source utilities will differ wildly depending on location. If you’re buying a developed subdivision lot, you can generally expect streets with gutters, sewers, and direct access to water, gas, and electric lines. On the other hand, if you’re considering more rural country living, almost none of those utilities will be readily available. Will you access water from a well or from a company? What are your options for phone or Internet? Those will vary so do your research. If you’re considering a remote lot, be aware that even if the property is listed as having access to municipal utilities like water and sewer, if you are far away from the utility provider you may be charged a significant fee to bring the utility lines out to your property. These fees can be as high as $100/foot, so if your lot were 300 feet away from utility lines, you would need to factor in an additional cost of $30,000. Essentially, be sure you understand what’s possible before making your purchase.
Particular communities may have codes of restrictions that affect your ability to design and style your home the way you want. Properties may also be located in an area zoned for commercial or residential, so it’s possible you could wind up with an unwanted commercial building nearby. That’s why looking ahead matters. When you keep in mind what the area may look like in years to come, you won’t be surprised by unexpected changes in the future.
Thinking about building a beautiful custom home in San Luis Obispo soon? Visit our Custom Homes website or call (805) 316-5046.
Is building a custom home in your future? Robbins|Reed specializes in luxury home construction. We can integrate any and all of the unique features below into your personalized design. Together these amenities add up to everyday luxury for you and your family.
Exceptional Custom Home Interiors
We encourage clients to find inspiration for their dream bathroom from their favorite spa destination. Beyond spacious walk-in showers with multiple shower heads and no-touch plumbing features – you can include a custom media center and built-in bar for morning coffee or mimosas in the calming whirlpool jet tub. His and hers heated toilet seats add peace and privacy in the space as well. Additional touches clients love include soft lighting, a music system, and comfortable seating.
Perfectly Tailored Closet
When it comes to closets, there is no dream too big! From flattering soft lightning to mirrored walls – our expert team is here to help. Whether you imagine an expansive walk-in dressing room with built-in shelving for clothing collections and shoes, or a social space to entertain friends as you prepare for your next event, Robbins|Reed Custom Homes will collaborate closely with you to bring your vision to life.
Automation can make life easier. High-tech amenities like a smart refrigerator now alert you when produce and other foods are going to expire. We can even include ovens that instantly calculate the correct time and temperature to cook your meal. For the gourmand, consider smart appliances from espresso machines to pancake makers for instant brunch!
Advanced Smart Home Technology
Safety first. Consider an advanced security system for your custom home. Today you can easily access alarm settings, camera angles, specific lighting and more from your smartphone or voice control.
Custom flooring can be installed absolutely anywhere in your home, although the bathroom is the most popular option. Heated floors provide instant comfort year round, especially during chilly winter months. The heat inside your home doesn’t even need to be up particularly high to make a significant difference, and it warms your entire body. When it comes to fabulous flooring, you can select materials from hardwood to polished concrete. The options are endless.
Calling all luxury car owners, this is your time to shine. Robbins|Reed can create the exact space you want for your personal collection. You don’t have to love cars – custom garages are for everyone! Whether you need mountains of storage space or a mudroom for the kids soccer gear, the Robbins|Reed Custom Homes team will build the perfect garage for you and your family.
Why not make the outside of your home as lovely as the inside? Robbins|Reed Custom Homes are equally impressive inside and out.
Nothing elevates the outdoors like dedicated space to relax or entertain! Here on the California Central Coast we’re home to fantastic weather. That means you can easily host outdoor dinner parties and special events anytime. Incorporating water features can help your home stand out and provide soothing sounds too. Personalized gardens and lush landscaping also makes a dramatic difference. From stunning stone patios to luxurious kitchens – Robbins|Reed has the expertise you need to entertain outdoors all year.
Relax anytime with a vanishing edge pool. This option is a natural compliment to a hilltop property or any backyard with a stunning scenic view. Whether you want a swim-up bar, Olympic-sized lanes, or a custom diving board, Robbins|Reed Custom Homes can turn your property into a proper paradise.
At Robbins|Reed we build every house as if it were our own. A custom home is your chance to get exactly what you want out of your living space. Don’t settle for anything less than your vision of perfection. Contact the luxury home construction experts at Robbins|Reed Custom Homes to learn more today – (805) 543-7277.